When it comes to improving your heart health, exercising is arguably one of the best ways to accomplish this goal. However, even the most active people can suffer through periods of boredom with their workouts. That is why today, our team at Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island would like to discuss an alternative exercise method, hiking. To learn just how beneficial this can be for your heart, please consider contacting a member of our team.
Benefits To Be Aware Of
Even though it can seem that hiking is an activity only enjoyed by nature enthusiasts, that is hardly the case. Hiking is one of the best exercises a person can do, even if they aren’t the biggest fans of nature. That is why our team highly recommends at least putting some thought into going hiking. When you decide to do so, the heart-based benefits you can receive may include the following:
- Lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Improving blood sugar levels.
- Lowering your blood pressure.
- Decreasing the stress and anxiety levels that damage your heart.
- It keeps your weight at a manageable level, limiting the amount of work your heart needs to do.
Safety Measures To Consider
Even though hiking is an excellent activity for your heart health, it doesn’t mean that it comes with no potential negatives. The fact is that if you aren’t careful, hiking can lead to some potential injuries. Our cardiologists do not want to see that happen, which is why we’re here to help. We want to lay out some safety precautions to take so you can remain healthy and uninjured. Some of the most important aspects to remember include the below:
- Start by going on beginner trails with even terrain.
- Invest in walking sticks or poles to help keep yourself supported as you hike.
- Always be aware of your surroundings during your hike.
- Stretch out and warm up before heading down the trail.
Contact Our Team
Here at Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island, our primary objective is to help patients reach their optimal heart health levels. Sometimes, hiking is the best option that allows for this goal to be attained. To learn more about how this will help you, please don’t hesitate to contact our team today.