When discussing a polarizing topic such as depression, many health-related issues are often brought into consideration. What may not always be discussed, however, is how depression can specifically impact your heart health. At the Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island, we understand how depression and heart health can go hand in hand. You should never feel like this is something you need to go through alone. If you’re concerned with your heart health, book an appointment today and learn what you can do to promote a healthier life.
What Is Depression?
Before drawing conclusions, you should know exactly what depression entails. If you’ve been experiencing at least 5 of the following symptoms for more than 2 weeks, you could be suffering from depression:
- Feeling tired or having small amounts of energy all day.
- Feeling worthless or guilty every day.
- Feeling restless or slowed down.
- Gaining or losing significant amounts of weight.
- Having difficulties focusing and making decisions.
- Often thinking about death or suicide.
- Being unable to sleep or sleeping too much every day.
How Depression Impacts Heart Health:
If you’re experiencing signs of depression, you should reach out to a medical professional for help. This unfortunate condition can wreak havoc on your body, including your heart health, and it’s easy to understand why this is the case. When feeling depressed, many people tend to eat “comfort food” like ice cream and other unhealthy options in order to make themselves feel better. Pairing this with a lack of desire to stay active can lead to increased blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and cholesterol. Depression can make it easier to live an unhealthy lifestyle, putting you at risk for developing heart disease.
Natural Remedies For Heart Health
Fighting depression can be a perverse battle to overcome. The same is true of heart conditions brought about from depression. While you may think there is no end in sight, the Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island can educate you on natural remedies for heart health that you can implement to better yourself:
- Our team can offer sleep solutions and stress resilience programs to help combat depression. These programs can help improve your mood and reduce sluggish feelings so you can remain active and give you the motivation to make healthier choices.
- Be sure to choose healthy habits, but don’t punish yourself if they are not picked up right away. Gradually building up healthy lifestyles will make it easier to commit and remain consistent.
Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island Offers Natural Remedies For Heart Health:
The team at the Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island specializes in diagnosing heart conditions and how they can be treated. We understand that depression can be a serious culprit in the deterioration of heart health. If you’ve been dealing with depression, make sure you contact us so you can keep your heart at its optimal health level.