If you have experienced heart palpitations, you know that it can be an extremely unsettling experience. It may feel as though your heart is beating twice as fast or even skipping a beat altogether. Heart palpitations can have many different stimulants. Typically, heart palpitations aren’t harmful but in some cases, it could be an indicator of underlying health issues. At the Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island, our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County can help you determine the root cause of your heart palpitations.
Heart palpitations can be brought on by a wide range of lifestyle choices or underlying health problems. These conditions may or may not have a direct correlation to the heart.
Non-heart related issues include:
- Vigorous amounts of physical activity.
- Intake of alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, or illegal drugs/amphetamines.
- Emotional distress such as anxiety, nervousness, stress or fear.
- Hormonal fluctuations.
- Certain medications/herbal supplements such as diet pills and decongestants.
- Consuming foods with large amounts of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), sodium, or nitrates.
Heart-related conditions associated with heart palpitations consist of:
- Heart failure.
- Previous history of heart attack.
- Coronary artery disease.
- Heart valve issues.
- Problems in the heart muscle.
In order to determine whether your palpitations are due to any heart problems, your doctor may conduct a variety of tests. These tests may include:
- Exercise stress test & stress echocardiogram – Information from the exercise ECG and stress echocardiogram are useful in determining if any blockages are obstructing blood flow to the heart muscle.
- Coronary artery calcium score (CT heart) – Or measurements of blood vessel abilities to dilate, the test is used for evaluation of the endothelium, an inner lining of the blood vessels.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) – This test records the rate at which your heart sends out electrical signals and can identify any irregular heart rhythms.
- Echocardiogram- An ultrasound is used to determine the structure and function of your heart.
We also provide our personalized tests like advanced lipid and inflammatory markers, metabolic and nutritional assessments, genetic testing, testing for toxins and heavy metal exposures, and extensive panels for hormone testing.
When to See Our Holistic Cardiologist in Nassau County
It is highly suggested that if you have a known history of heart disease or your heart palpitations continue to cause symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, or dizziness, you should schedule an appointment with us immediately. Our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County is here to assist you in figuring out what is causing these palpitations to occur in the first place. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and see how holistic heart treatments may be right for you.