Summer is just around the corner! That means its time for BBQ’s, beach days, and lots of ice cream. While it is easy to get caught up with all those summer plans, it is important to maintain your exercise regimen. An advantage of the warmer weather is having the opportunity to stay fit by using what’s around you. People tend to forget that you don’t have to go to the gym every day to stay active and healthy. At Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island, our team encourages you to practice healthy lifestyle habits all year round!
Get your heart pumping:
We all tend to forget that some of our favorite activities can also serve as a form of working out. Rather than dragging yourself to the gym, why not play a sport with friends or take a walk around the block? So, give your heart a healthy boost this summer by trying these activities solo or with friends and family:
- Swimming – Swimming is a great form of exercise for all ages. Since it is a low-impact workout, it helps to relieve stress and reduce blood pressure. Swimming trains the body to take in oxygen more efficiently and is therefore great for the heart and lungs. It also improves muscle strength and flexibility all over the body.
- Biking – Cycling at any intensity is great for your heart’s health. Being an aerobic exercise, your heart, blood vessels, and lungs, all get a great workout. Depending on your speed and incline, you will begin to breathe heavier, have an increase in body temperature, and perspire, which is great for your overall health.
- Walking – Although considered a fairly easy form of fitness, walking is a fantastic way to get moving and get outside. This activity temporarily increases blood pressure and heart rate which will gradually lead to better efficiency of the heart.
- At ICCLI, we recommend clients try to get some walking in daily; which can aid in weight loss. Hiking is another form of walking that has many additional benefits. It helps in building muscle, improving stamina and flexibility, and of course, keeps your heart happy. When hiking, you are more likely to be breathing heavier than you would during a neighborhood stroll; therefore, it increases your blood pressure and works your lungs and heart harder to pump blood.
How We Can Help:
At the Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island, we are dedicated to guiding our patients along a path to optimal energy and function for life. Our team is experienced and passionate about delivering the right care to the right patient when they need it. At ICCLI our top priorities include decreasing the risk of heart disease and hospitalizations related to heart disease and increase your longevity of life. We’ve been able to accomplish these goals by creating personalized approaches, based on functional medicine, for each and every one of our patients. After meeting with one of our doctors, you’ll be given a program specifically tailored to your health needs. We have programs focused on the following areas:
- Genomic Consults
- Sleep Solution & Stress Resilience
- Fit in your GENES Weight Loss program
- Holistic Heart Health
So, if you are having trouble getting outside this summer and finding ways to be active, contact our office today! We can help guide you in the right direction when it comes to staying active this summer.