Hypertension, or high blood pressure, is a condition in which the force of the blood against the artery walls is too high. Hypertension has no symptoms, yet over time if it’s untreated, it can cause major issues such as heart disease or stroke. This condition affects many people, but fortunately, it can be treated in different ways. One option is medication and drugs. There’s also a natural approach to dealing with hypertension which is a healthier and safer alternative. If you’re seeking a holistic cardiologist on Long Island to help treat your hypertension, contact our office today.
Things You Can Do To Lower Your Blood Pressure Naturally
Make a change in your diet. If you’re someone who has trouble with choosing the right things to put into your body, then our input could help. The following are ways you can change your diet with the help of our holistic cardiologist on Long Island, our dietician, and our nutritionist:
By eating foods that are rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products, you can help yourself to lower your blood pressure significantly.
- Keep a food log: By writing down what you eat, you will bring to light all your imperfections within your diet that may not have been realized. Monitor what you are eating and how much. Being consistent is very important.
- Boost potassium in your diet: Potassium can help lower sodium levels in the blood which will help lower hypertension. The best source of potassium is within fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce sodium: Even a small reduction in sodium can help lower your blood pressure and improve your heart health. Read food labels, consider alternatives such as low-sodium food products, and avoid processed food.
- Exercising regularly, about 30 minutes a day, can help to improve your heart health and lower your blood pressure to a safer level.
- Aerobic exercises such as running, walking, cycling, swimming or dancing can all help to improve hypertension levels.
- Strength training should be included about two days a week into your workout routine.
- Watch your waistline and lose extra pounds. Carrying extra weight can increase your chances of high blood pressure. Losing small bits of weight over time can significantly make a difference in managing your hypertension.
- Exercising can help reduce stress and aid in sleep quality which are factors that will help reduce hypertension as well.
What changes should I make to my lifestyle?
- Limit alcohol intake: Drinking an above moderate amount of alcohol can raise blood pressure and decrease the effectiveness of blood pressure medications.
- Quit smoking: Each cigarette you smoke increases your blood pressure levels. Quitting smoking can help bring your blood pressure levels back to a normal level. Stopping can also improve your heart health and overall well-being.
- Cut back on caffeine: The effect caffeine has on blood pressure can vary from person to person. Depending on your tolerance level and sensitivity to caffeine, it can either raise your blood pressure to a high level or see little to no effect on it.
- Help to reduce stress levels: Chronic stress can lead to high blood pressure. Try to avoid stress triggers and try to engage in activities that help reduce stress.
Holistic Cardiologist on Long Island
If you suffer from hypertension or high blood pressure and are seeking a holistic cardiologist on Long Island, consider our services at ICCLI. We help patients live a healthy, happy lifestyle through our holistic approach. By avoiding medications and taking a more natural route to lower your blood pressure, you are helping yourself to become a more healthy individual. Our holistic cardiologist on Long Island will work with you in finding the best solutions to lowering your hypertension. Contact us today for more information.