A heart-healthy diet is crucial in maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system. At Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island, we want to make sure our patients have access to both a nutritionist and a dietician so that they can implement the right foods that are good for their heart as well as their overall well being. Eating healthy can have preventative effects on the body to ensure the stabilization of cholesterol levels, glucose levels, and liver enzymes. If you are looking for a holistic cardiologist in Nassau County, visit Dr. Regina Druz at Integrative Cardiology Center of Long Island.
8 Ways to Integrate a Healthy Heart-Diet Into Your Lifestyle:
With the help of our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County, our nutritionist, and our dietician, you can learn how to keep up with a heart-healthy diet. Here are a few tips to help maintain a heart-healthy lifestyle:
- Control Portion Size – If you eat using a small bowl or dish, and increase your nutrient-rich foods, you can control portion size. The amount of food to eat is dependent on the type of food. For example, one serving of pasta is the only ⅓ of a cup. A serving of meat such as beef or fish is about 2 to 3 ounces. Our dietician can answer all of your questions on specific foods to eat a lot of versus particular foods to eat less of while mapping out the portion sizes that are best for your needs.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables – Fruits mixed into salads, or vegetables mixed into stir-fry can offer a lot of nutritional value. You can choose low sodium canned vegetables or canned fruits with low sugar to make it easy, but fresh fruits and vegetables are best. Limit coconut, heavy fruit syrup, and fried or breaded vegetables. Fruits and vegetables play a crucial role in adding nutrients and fiber into your diet.
- Select Whole Grains – Whole grains provide a great additional amount of fiber and are an excellent substitute for refined grains. Buckwheat, whole-wheat flour, high-fiber cereal, whole-grain pasta, and oatmeal are great options. Try to limit grain from foods that add a lot of calories such as waffles, muffins, biscuits, cakes, pies, and noodles.
- Limit Unhealthy Fats – You can limit your cholesterol by limiting the amount of saturated and trans fats you eat. A high cholesterol level can lead to the buildup of plaque and atherosclerosis. Saturated fats should include no more than 5-6% of your daily calorie count. Avoid high amounts of butter and margarine when cooking. Try to avoid foods with trans fats entirely. A great way to add healthy fat into your diet is adding foods rich in omega-3-fatty acids and adding flaxseeds to your yogurt, applesauce, or oatmeal.
- Choose low-fat protein sources – Think lean meat when it comes to eating poultry and fish. Salmon and mackerel are fish that are rich in omega-3-fatty acids, which is good for you, but try to avoid eating the skin. Try to substitute legumes like beans, peas, and lentils for meats high in fat such as a beef burger. You will want to use low-fat dairy products as well. By visiting our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County, we can help you learn to decipher the difference between low-fat protein and high-fat protein.
- Reduce sodium – All adults should have no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Eating processed foods is a great way to avoid excessive salt. Be wary of the beneficial promotions of certain foods – sea salt has the same nutritional value as regular salt. Restaurant meals and condiments such as ketchup, mayonnaise, and soy salt has a lot of added sodium.
- Plan ahead – Creating daily menus for yourself is a great way to plan for eating right. This is an excellent way to prevent slip-ups from occurring. Our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County works hard towards maximizing the resources available for each of our patients to succeed.
- Allow for an occasional treat – If you incorporate these tips into your everyday life, you will find success in a heart-healthy diet. You will see that it is okay to have an occasional treat and that good habits go a long way.
If you are looking for a holistic cardiologist in Nassau County, contact us at Integrative Cardiology Centers of Long Island to set up your appointment today. Our holistic approach can offer you the best resources to make sure you stay healthy. We want to give you the tools to make sure you can do what’s right for your body. By focusing on lifestyle changes, you can make a significant difference in your health and wellness. Contact us and find out more about how we can help you succeed today.