The Internet Problem
Let’s face it, along with the impressive technological advancements we’ve made over the past decades, there are some not-so-impressive tradeoffs that accompany it. We have constructed a life so efficient we could order a car while lying in bed and in the same breath order Chinese food. This kind of overly efficient and inactive lifestyle has its benefits, but it could be doing us more harm than good. It is essential to seek ways to be a more healthy society. Our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County wants to provide information on how to counter the effects of an inactive lifestyle.
A sedentary lifestyle is a way of living without participating in many physical activities. People who live a sedentary lifestyle usually sit or lay down while they partake in activities like reading, mingling, watching television, playing video games, or using an internet connected device for extended periods. A sedentary lifestyle may have a significant impact on your overall health. A new study reveals that a sedentary lifestyle is worse for your health than smoking, diabetes and heart disease.
Consequences of Living a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Fewer physical activities mean you’re burning fewer calories. This increases your chance of gaining weight.
- Inactive muscle overtime loses its strength if the muscle is not being activated enough.
- Inactivity may also affect your bone health. Your bones may become weaker and lose some mineral content due to an inactive lifestyle.
- The chemical processes that is your metabolism can be compromised, making it difficult for your body to digest and break down food.
- The body’s defensive mechanism, the immune system, may also be affected because of an unhealthy and inactive lifestyle.
- Blood is not able to circulate properly which could lead to even more severe health issues.
It is evident that living an inactive lifestyle can cause health issues that are not wanted. So how should you combat it? Our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County focuses on treating the whole person, taking into account all factors.
Ways to Be More Active
If you have been living an inactive lifestyle, here is the good news – you can start living a more active lifestyle while enjoying all of what the internet has to offer. Contact our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County for more information on ways to be more active. In the meantime, here are some general principles to follow:
Slow and steady wins the race– There’s no reason to overwhelm yourself, start slowly and increase as you go. For example, begin by gradually reducing your online engagements to facilitate more activities.
Be intentionally inefficient– This means intentionally walking to the deli even though you could order online.
Light exercises– Consider doing some light exercises when you’re most inactive like when you’re at work or at home enjoying a movie. Light exercises are quick and leave you feeling refreshed.
Changing from one lifestyle to another can seem daunting and overwhelming but adjusting to a better and healthier lifestyle is necessary. With the help of our holistic cardiologist in Nassau County, the transition can be normalized and less intimidating. Our team is here to help you formulate a plan that is specific to your needs. Contact us today to get started!