Regardless of where you are, the holidays are a time for family, laughs, and food. During the holidays, it can be overwhelming to stick to a healthy diet with so much delicious food sitting around in abundance. Luckily, following a healthy set of tips can assist you in staying healthy throughout this holiday season.
Eating Healthy During The Holidays
The holidays are the time we get to enjoy some of our favorite meals. As you celebrate, think of little changes you can make this holiday season to create healthier meals and active, energy filled days.
Consider these simple adjustments to help make your holiday meals healthier:
- Instead of using flour consider using whole-grain. This is a small tweak that could have a big effect on your health.
- Add a salad to your dinner table; you could try adding unsalted nuts and black beans to add crunch and flavor that everyone at the table will enjoy.
- Replace regular milk with almond or coconut milk.
- Replace white rice with brown rice, also add some beans to make a complete protein.
- Serve lemonade or other natural fruit juices instead of high-calorie options like soda and artificial juices.
- Reduce salt and sugar used in baked desserts. Instead, add more spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.
After the festivities, it’s essential to continue to seek healthy alternatives to ensure a healthy lifestyle. The FIT in Your GENES® Weight Loss Program is an excellent place to start. It is a 6-12 month program designed to efficiently help you retain a healthy lifestyle, and or lose some extra weight. The program offers daily meal selection support backed by advances in genomic science tailored to your weight goals.
Holiday Season Stress
During the holiday season with so much on your plate literally and figuratively, it can be challenging to get enough sleep. Here at Integrated Cardiology Center of Long Island, we understand that in these few months, emotions run high and some people experience high levels of stress which could lead to lack of sleep. This holiday season, consider our Sleep Solution Stress Resilience program to help you monitor your response to stress and return to peace. This program is an in-office treatment that uses information from a heart rate assessment and simple breathing exercises that are known to increase stress resilience.
At ICCLI, we are here to help you get through this holiday season healthy, happy, and stress-free!